In September 2014 environment ministers adopted a vision for waste: Canada is a world leader in waste management.
- Canada’s record on reducing and recycling waste is improved
- Consumer, municipal and industry awareness of and support for waste reduction and recycling is increased
- Costs are shifted from taxpayers to producers
- Waste is seen as valuable resource: the economic benefit from recycling is optimized and the economic burden of waste to landfill is minimized.
- CCME will focus on issues that are Canada-wide in scope and that require collective attention by governments
- CCME recognizes that all Canadians and sectors contribute to environmental stewardship
- CCME considers economic, social and environmental benefits
- CCME will collaborate with business, government, municipal and community partners
- CCME will work to continuously improve programs, policies and strategies.